Event Code of Conduct
Hello Friends of MADEGRANDBYCAM!
Everyone participating in the MADEGRANDBYCAM community—including all events and corresponding Facebook, LinkedIn and Meetup groups—is required to agree to the following code of conduct. This includes all discussion leaders, moderators, attendees, guests of attendees, vendors, volunteers, the event hosts—basically everyone involved 🙂 MADEGRANDBYCAM will enforce this code during its events and throughout the year. Please do your part to help ensure a safe, diverse and welcoming environment.
TL;DR Don’t be a Jerk
MADEGRANDBYCAM is committed to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion (or lack thereof).
We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
Sexist, racist, discriminatory, or harassing language and imagery is not cool in the MADEGRANDBYCAM community in person or online. If you violate these rules you will be asked to leave MADEGRANDBYCAM events, removed from all online communities, will not be given a refund and will not receive invitations to future events at the discretion of MADEGRANDBYCAM organizers. Even if the event has not yet started, if you violate any of these rules prior, you will not be able to attend.
The Long Version
MADEGRANDBYCAM interprets all of the following as harassment—offensive verbal comments about sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, body size, race, religion (or lack thereof), physical appearance, sexual images in public places, stalking, following, intimidation, bullying, unwanted harassing photography or video recording, ongoing disruption of talks and event, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
Exceptions! (there are always exceptions): conversations or images related to sex, porn, discriminatory language, or similar may be tolerated/approved if they meet the following criteria:
- It’s presented in a respectful manner
- It’s necessary to the topic of discussion and no alternative exists
- Attendees are given ample warning and opportunity to leave beforehand
If you’re asked by anyone to stop any harassing behavior you are required to comply and stop immediately. MADEGRANDBYCAM will take any action they feel appropriate, from warning the offender to expelling the offender with no refund.
MADEGRANDBYCAM Pro Tips
- Do the right thing. If you see something say something—many times if you’re feeling uncomfortable, someone else is too.
- Look out for one another. MADEGRANDBYCAM centers around action sports and the outdoors, make sure to watch over each other and ensure folks are safe and have each other’s backs.
- No peer pressure. If someone doesn’t want to do something, do not pressure them.
- Be proactive. Be the first to introduce yourself, the first to help clean up, the first to offer a hand with moving luggage and chairs. MADEGRANDBYCAM does not have an army of volunteers to help out, but together we can all help make things run smoothly.
- Do something nice for others, with no strings attached.
- No pitching and no poaching. Talking about the design and the challenges of our industry are fair game—poaching and pitching are not what MADEGRANDBYCAM is about, you will have plenty of time to do that AFTER you get back home and have built incredible friendships.
- Be friendly and approachable. Everyone is equal at MADEGRANDBYCAM. Everyone. We are all students and we are all teachers—be open to those around you, make it easy for people to get to know you, share and be friendly, make room for others at breakfast and dinner, make a point to include others.
- Be optimistic. Bring your wit and your humor, but leave the cynicism and negativity at home. We are here to learn and have fun and develop and grow as a community 🙂
- The nest. Do not write, tweet, live stream, or video any of the discussions at MADEGRANDBYCAM unless clearly stated ahead of time you’re allowed to. If a discussion leader or hosts says not to repeat something, you don’t repeat it. Offenders of this will not be allowed back to an event.
- It is what you make it. If you come to learn, grow, and meet new friends, you will. If you come to pout and criticize others, you won’t have a good time and neither will the people around you. Save yourself the money and allow an attendee that will make the most of it be there instead.
Watch your language. It does not make anyone sound cool to use inappropriate language.
Support one another. Criticism is great. Even better is doing it in a positive, actionable way. Inappropriate negative criticism of anyone or anyone’s work in our community will resort in required action based on the communities group decision.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns please contact Cam Evans immediately. If you can’t or don’t want to speak in person then send a note to email@example.com or by direct message in Messenger.
All reports are handled in the strictest confidence.
Thanks and Credit
This code of conduct is inspired heavily on the Epicurrence Code of Conduct and adapted for MADEGRANDBYCAM by Cam Evans. The latest 2022 additions have been added by Cam Evans.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Is something missing that you would like to see? Leave a comment—any additions to this living document will be properly credited.